View Post

What next? Fence posts without wood

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

Business is booming for a Kiwi startup which turns plastic waste into fence posts. The new company, Future Post, has invented an environmentally friendly fence post made from 100 percent recycled plastics. As well as helping minimise plastic waste, the posts are stronger and more durabkle than traditional fence post designs. General manager of Future Post, Jerome Wenzlick said the …

View Post

N.Z. Future Forest Products outlines expansion plans

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

N.Z. Future Forest Products Ltd (NZFFP) has this week made a series of announcements about its future expansion plans. The company, which is focused on making sustainable New Zealand finished wood products one of the core export pillars of the New Zealand economy, was established by 35-year-old New Zealander David Henry upon his return to the country after 15 years …

View Post

Latest quarterly Timber Market Survey report out

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

The September quarter 2019 Australian Timber Market Survey (TMS) has shown downward price movements for untreated MGP products ranging between 0.4% and 1.3%. Treated sleeper and treated decking prices also declined over the quarter, with price movements ranging between 0.3% and 1.4%. Price movements for panel products were mixed, with price decreases for MDF products ranging between 1.1% and 1.3%, …

View Post

Mill chapter closes for Kangaroo Island

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

KPT has entered into an agreement that it expects to lead to the sale and removal of the main sawmill equipment that comprises the green mill, dry mill and drying kilns at its Heartland Hub (former Timber Creek Mill) site, along with various associated machinery. The sale proceeds will have no material effect on the Company’s finances. However, the sale …

View Post

X-Frame gets commercialisation boost

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

Clip-together modular building design can be rapidly assembled, disassembled and reused, eliminating waste during a building’s lifecycle Victoria University of Wellington PhD candidate Ged Finch is fast tracking the commercialisation of his X-Frame structural frame solution for waste free buildings with support from the KiwiNet Emerging Innovator Programme. The game-changing framing system can be disassembled and re-used at the end …

View Post

Design out waste and build lean in

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

Product and process design drive 80% of the total costs, but most continuous improvement effort is spent trying to reduce the remaining 20% in current production. Taiichi Ohno, the father of Toyota’s production system, created the “Seven Wastes,” a nice list of ways to categorize wastes in production. The wastes he identified in his book are overproduction, waiting, transportation, over-processing, …

View Post

Durable properties for radiata outdoor uses

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

Scion has developed a new biobased treatment technology that can give softwood radiata pine durable properties. The treatment increases the performance of radiata pine timber in outdoor uses including decking, cladding, outdoor furniture and exterior joinery. Unlike conventional preservative treatments, which generally contain heavy metals, their new stability treatment technology is eco-friendly, using renewables obtained from processing agricultural wastes. Wood …

View Post

Resource security for SEQ hardwood industry

In Issue21 by FIEALeave a Comment

Timber Queensland has acknowledged the Palaszczuk Government’s announcement this week as an important first step toward recognising the need for resource security and the long-term future of the many workers and timber companies directly involved in the South-East Queensland native hardwood industry. Timber Queensland’s CEO Mick Stephens said the announcement of a number of measures by the State Government was …