11-12 September 2018
18-19 September 2018
Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
WoodTECH 2018 | Event Summary
Another Strong Turnout
After an absence of over eight years, the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA) this year focused on innovations and new technologies around dry-mill and wood manufacturing operations. The previous two WoodTECH events, 2017 and 2015, both concentrated on sawmill scanning, sawing and green-mill optimisation technologies.
Once again the WoodTECH series attracted strong numbers, with over 350 delegates attending the New Zealand and Australian events in 2018. We also received great support internationally, with a near record turnout from North America and European technology and equipment suppliers, as well as local suppliers, exhibiting at WoodTECH 2018.
New technologies (from wood scanning and optimisation in the dry-mill through to finger-jointing, gluing, laminating and timber finishing), new operating practices and processes along with tips to improve current manufacturing operations were outlined by tech providers drawn from throughout this region, Europe and North America.
What was Covered?
New technologies, new processing systems and case studies to showcase “smart operating practices” in dry-mill and wood manufacturing operations, including;
- Robotics and automation and changes being seen in wood manufacturing
- Advances in wood scanning and board optimisation
- Finger-jointing, cross cutting and ripping
- Timber gluing and laminating
- Timber machining
- Kiln drying
- Timber finishing – planning, moulding and surface coating
- Material handling operations
- Mill maintenance
- Changes to timber standards
- H&S, training and skills development
WoodTECH 2018 also included short focused presentations, quick-fire technology updates and a large number of exhibitions. This event provided a unique platform for local mills and manufacturers to learn and engage.
Programme at a Glance
Conference Day One
- Session 1: Disruptive Technologies - Just how these are reshaping wood manufacturing options
- Session 2: Scanning & Optimisation Technologies to Improve Recoveries in the Dry-Mill
- Refreshments & Networking (Drinks & canapes amongst the exhibits)
Conference Day Two
- Session 3: High Speed Planing & Timber Machining
- Session 4: Defecting, Finger-Jointing, Gluing, Laminating & Material Handling
- Session 5: Kiln Drying Technologies & Drying Practices
For WoodTECH 2018, over 350 sawmill managers, production and operational staff along with key tech providers attended. Delegates include;
- Wood processing & manufacturing site managers
- Dry-mill & production managers & supervisors
- Timber machining, moulding, finger-jointing, gluing and laminating operators
- Mill and lumber Q.C. personnel
- Mill maintenance staff
- Kiln drying operators
- Local and international equipment, product and service suppliers
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
WoodTECH once again offer a unique opportunity for companies involved in supplying products or services to Australasia’s wood manufacturing companies to be involved in this event. In both WoodTECH 2017 and WoodTECH 2018, exhibition spaces SOLD OUT.
FIEA has earned a well-deserved reputation over 20 years of providing both event sponsors and exhibitors with a unique independent platform for promoting their products and services to forestry and wood products companies in this region. Details for sponsorship and exhibiting at the next WoodTECH technology series will be made available in 2019.
For early information on planned sponsorship options and benefits for the next planned WoodTECH series, or other upcoming FIEA events, please include your details in the form on the right or contact Gordon Thomson, Sponsorship Manager, (+64) 7 921 1384 or (+64) 27 275 8022, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since 1998 the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA), a division of Innovatek Ltd, has run an extensive series of technology related events for Australasian forest products companies. Over 200 conferences, trade shows and exhibitions have been run for local companies.
FIEA’s objective is to improve the performance and productive capability of forestry and wood products companies in the region. It is now recognized as one of the most effective information providers for the Australasian forestry & wood products industries.
FIEA Contact Details
(+64) 7 921 1382
1800 126 398 (from Australia)
- Rotorua Office
Forest Industry Engineering Association
Building X91, Sala Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
PO Box 1230, Rotorua 3040, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 7 921 1382
- Dunedin Office
Forest Industry Engineering Association
c/o Distinction Dunedin Hotel, 6 Liverpool Street, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
PO Box 904, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 3 470 1902
Forest Industry Engineering Association: A division of Innovatek Ltd