Improving the performance and productive capability of forestry and wood products companies
11-12 September 2019, Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
17-18 September 2019, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
WoodTECH 2019 | Event Details
The two-yearly technology update for sawmilling companies in New Zealand and Australia is being planned with local industry and key technology providers. It runs in September 2019. Record numbers attended the last event in 2017. 2019 plans to be even better. Mark the date now into your diaries.
The WoodTECH series was reintroduced to Australasian sawmilling and wood manufacturing companies in 2017. After a decade of national training programmes falling over, saw-doctors groupings folding, mill closures and consolidation within the industry, local wood producers were keen on getting their teams together again at one central location. An independent forum to learn about new technology, new processes and systems, to exchange ideas and to network was being called for.
That’s where the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA) stepped in. This had been a core component of their technology related events in the past. The WoodTECH series was set up with local industry and key national and global technology providers.
The WoodTECH 2017 technology series focussed on sawmilling or green-mill operations. It drew in a record number of over 400 delegates in September 2017. It was the largest gathering ever seen of sawmilling companies, saw-doctors and technology providers in Australasia. WoodTECH 2018 achieved similar support with the focus being on dry-mill or wood manufacturing technologies. Details of both events can be found on this website.
Following both events, the monthly news service, www.woodtech.news to improve communication amongst this part of the industry was also, as a consequence, set up.
Again, an independent platform will be provided in both New Zealand and Australia for local companies to evaluate new innovations, technologies, processes and systems in sawmilling, scanning, saw maintenance and mill optimisation.
Practical troubleshooting, maintenance, QC, saw alignment, training and recruitment sessions will also be built into the two-day programme with short presentations, workshops, trade exhibitions and tech talks being planned.
The event programme will be specifically designed with industry to ensure sawmill production and operational staff will gain maximum benefit from attending the September series. Local sawmills will hear how they can extract the best performance out of their own saws, machine centres and sawing operations.
The objective is to encourage sawmill teams - management, mill production, saw-doctors and maintenance staff - to take advantage of the line-up of international specialists being brought into the region. This will ensure that teams from local mills will be able to put the learnings from the event into practice once back on their own work site.
The New Zealand and Australian wood processing industry, including:
- Sawmill site managers
- Sawmill green-mill, production and engineering managers
- Mill supervisors, maintenance and production staff
- Mill and lumber QC personnel
- Equipment, product and service suppliers to sawmilling companies
We have been working closely with a wide range of New Zealand, Australian and international companies, service suppliers, researchers and government bodies to develop a strong and innovative programme. If you have any questions about the programme, please contact Brent Apthorp on firstname.lastname@example.org or (+64) 3 470 1902.
New Zealand Programme
WPMA Regional Meeting & Networking Function
The Wood Processors and Manufacturers Association (WPMA) will be running a Bay of Plenty Regional Meeting and cocktail function the evening before WoodTECH 2019 at the hotel venue.
- Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2019
- Time: 5.30pm - 8.00pm
- Location: Distinction Rotorua Hotel, Rotorua, New Zealand
- Theme: The challenge of maintaining international competitiveness in New Zealand’s wood industry
In April, WPMA hosted its National Conference in Christchurch - “Wood manufacturing matters – especially in the regions” - WPMA has now moved on to its Regional Meeting Programme highlighting how industry and government are tackling trade barriers aiming to create fairer international competition. They will also present WPMA’s research looking at how government can play a more supportive role in NZ’s wood manufacturing sector.
Event Sponsors | Partners | Supporters
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
WoodTECH 2019 sponsorship and exhibition details for both New Zealand and Australia will be available shortly. Exhibition spaces will fill quickly.
WoodTECH offers a tremendous opportunity for companies involved in wood scanning, sawing and mill optimisation technologies to maximize their exposure to New Zealand and Australia’s wood processing and manufacturing companies. Record numbers of key suppliers from throughout Australia, New Zealand, North America and Europe were involved in the last two WoodTECH event series.
Feedback from all those participating in WoodTECH have been overwhelmingly positive with a significant amount of business being done over the event series. This is the largest gathering of sawmilling companies and suppliers at one place in both Australia and New Zealand. Exhibition spaces for this event are at a premium and will likely sell out.
FIEA has a well-deserved reputation of providing both sponsors and exhibitors with a unique platform for promoting their products and services to the industry in BOTH New Zealand and Australia.
For a full range of event sponsorship options, partnership arrangements and advertising opportunities, please contact Gordon Thomson, Sponsorship Manager, (+64) 7 921 1384 or (+64) 27 275 8022, email@example.com.
Distinction Rotorua Hotel
Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
390 Fenton Street, Rotorua, New Zealand
With its beautiful garden setting and located just minutes from the city centre, Distinction Rotorua Hotel is the perfect place to relax and unwind after a big day at the conference. After the event, this hotel is also a great base to enjoy the wealth of attractions and activities Rotorua has to offer. Free car parking is available at the venue, however, spaces are limited and hotel guests take priority.
Special accommodation rates (incl. GST):
- Superior Rooms: $160 per room/night
- Deluxe Rooms: $180 per room/night
- Hotel Suites: $240 per room/night
All accommodation rates are based on single, double or twin share occupancy.
6 Queens Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Surrounded by green parks and minutes from the beach yet within easy reach of buzzing downtown Melbourne, Chapel Street shopping and nightlife, the Bayview Eden Melbourne has the best of both worlds. Many of the hotel’s 192 comfortable, stylishly refurbished rooms and suites overlook the picturesque Albert Park with its lake and golf course, while the rooftop spa and gym provide panoramic views of the Central Business District skyscrapers.
Special accommodation rates (incl GST):
- Standard Room: $162 per room/night. Breakfast is $20 per person.
(ends 9 August 2019)
$890 + GST per person
Group (3-5) Rate
(3 to 5 attendees)
$795 + GST per person
Group (6+) Rate
(min 6 attendees)
$590 + GST per person
(with discount code)
$890 + GST per person
(from 10 August 2019)
$990 + GST per person
- All prices exclude 15% GST for the New Zealand event and 10% GST for the Australian event.
- Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA) member discounts of 10-25% apply off the standard Conference Rate. FIEA Membership Details and Benefits can be seen on www.fiea.org.nz. Membership status and discounts available can be checked by calling our FIEA offices.
- A credit card fee of 2.5% applies to credit card transactions for the New Zealand event and 1.8% for the Australian event.
- The Association Rate is available to all Supporting Association Members listed. A discount code is required and can be obtained by contacting your Association directly.
- To be eligible for any special rates, registrations and payment must be received on or BEFORE the dates listed. All discounts require payment at time of registration and before the cut-off date in order to receive any discount.
- Any discounts offered (including group discounts) require payment at the time of registration.
- Your conference registration payment covers the morning and afternoon teas, lunches, refreshments, networking drinks session, a conference handbook and access to presentations (electronic download for those presentations where presenter approval has been given).
- Cancellation policy: For cancellations made on or before Friday 9 August 2019, a 10% administration fee applies. Cancellations received after this date are non-refundable, however, they are transferable. Please allow 30 days for refunds to be processed. If you wish to transfer your registration to another individual from within your company, please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice.
- The organisers reserve the right to change the programme when required.
- Click here for our full terms and conditions.
Since 1998 the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA), a division of Innovatek Ltd, has run an extensive series of technology related events for Australasian forest products companies. Over 200 conferences, trade shows and exhibitions have been run for local companies.
FIEA’s objective is to improve the performance and productive capability of forestry and wood products companies in the region. It is now recognized as one of the most effective information providers for the Australasian forestry & wood products industries.
FIEA Contact Details
(+64) 7 921 1382
1800 126 398 (from Australia)
- Rotorua Office
Forest Industry Engineering Association
Building X91, Sala Street, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
PO Box 1230,
Rotorua 3040, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 7 921 1382
- Dunedin Office
Forest Industry Engineering Association
c/o Distinction Dunedin
Hotel, 6 Liverpool Street,
Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
PO Box 904,
Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 3 470 1902