WoodTECH 2022 | Event Details
WoodTECH has been run by the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA) for over 20 years, both in New Zealand and Australia. It’s provided an essential and independent showcase for local companies to evaluate the very latest innovations, technology and operating practices around saw design and operation, mill maintenance, wood scanning, sawmilling, mill optimisation and wood manufacturing operations.
In more recent times, the event has alternated each year between green-mill and dry-mill technologies. In addition to tech updates and the opportunity of sharing information between tech providers and mill staff, the annual event has also provided the only opportunity for mill production and operational staff along with mill management to get together in both countries.
The last sawmilling event, WoodTECH 2019 drew in close to 350 delegates. It really struck a chord with Australasian sawmills. WoodTECH 2020, with a focus on wood manufacturing, like all other events around the world, had to be cancelled. Instead, FIEA together with local industry ran six interactive online webinars for all major mills across Australasia in July 2020.
WoodTECH 2021 likewise had to be postponed. COVID lockdowns were still impacting adversely on businesses in both countries. Also, what couldn’t have been anticipated was the post-COVID building boom that meant sawmills in both countries were working extended shifts to try and meet the unprecedented demand for lumber. Better to reschedule until 2022.
Interest in Exhibiting
Event Dates: 18-19 May 2022
Location: Distinction Hotel, Rotorua, New Zealand
Virtual Online: For Australian and international attendees
Health & Safety
The health and safety of everyone who participates in this event is our top priority. Click here to learn more about how we host safe events and why you can book with confidence.
Warning: Attendee List Scam
Large events are increasingly the target of scammers who offer to sell our attendee list to people like you. Please note we will NEVER sell or provide your contact details to any third party.
What's Planned for 2022?
So, this time, third time lucky. With this background, the region’s major sawmilling and wood products event, WoodTECH, is planned to be run for wood producers in both New Zealand and Australia in mid-May 2022. At this stage, it’s still expected to be one of few sawmilling events that will be run in 2022 – anywhere around the world.
Because of the uncertainty still surrounding international travel, there’s an expectation that most international presenters and delegates won’t be involved in 2022 in person. It’s planned that New Zealand sawmillers and saw doctors along with key local equipment suppliers will still be able to meet up in person Rotorua. This in itself is critical to the industry having not met up together for three years.
Australian mills will be able to live stream the full two-day event. Sawmill site registrations for WoodTECH 2022 will this time also be able to be set up. This enables the event or specific presentations to be watched live.
Alternatively, if unable to let production workers watch live, the presentations will be able to be accessed later for mills outside New Zealand to use for their own on-site meetings, troubleshooting or training. They will provide an invaluable resource for each mill signing up.
What's this Mean?
This new format will enable;
- Presentations from the NZ event to be live-streamed directly into Australian mills and offices. Live streaming for the first time will also be able to be accessed by sawmilling companies from outside Australasia.
- Live workshops from key presenters outside Australasia can be given to mill staff - in both countries.
- Questions can be asked from delegates in either country to presenters and key technology providers from outside their region.
- Local exhibitors to be involved at the Rotorua venue for the first time in three years.
- Exhibitors from outside New Zealand to be involved through a number of opportunities that are being set up.
- Mill staff to be able to meet up as usual in New Zealand to learn from in person and remote presenters, exhibitors and each other. Networking, such an essential part of these technology events, will be retained. Staff from other mills will be meeting at their own sites.
Who Will Attend?
The New Zealand and Australian wood processing industry, including:
- Sawmill site managers
- Sawmill production and engineering managers
- Mill supervisors, maintenance and production staff
- Mill and lumber Q.C. personnel
- Wood treatment managers
- Kiln drying production staff
- Technology, equipment, product and service suppliers to sawmilling and wood manufacturing companies
Sponsor & Exhibitor Opportunities
WoodTECH continues to offer a unique opportunity for companies involved in supplying products or services to Australasia’s wood processing companies. Previous events have sold out.
FIEA has earned a well-deserved reputation over 20 years of providing both event sponsors and exhibitors with a unique independent platform for promoting their products and services to forestry and wood products companies in this region. Details for sponsorship are available on request.
Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
Distinction Rotorua Hotel
390 Fenton Street, Rotorua, New Zealand
With its beautiful garden setting and located just minutes from the city centre, Distinction Rotorua Hotel is the perfect place to relax and unwind after a big day at the conference. After the event, this hotel is also a great base to enjoy the wealth of attractions and activities Rotorua has to offer. Free car parking is available at the venue, however, spaces are limited and hotel guests take priority.
Special accommodation rates to be announced